Scandalous Bohemians Quiz. No. 3 – October 2012
Round 1: The Life of Conan Doyle
- Under what name was Conan Doyle baptised?
- Name the first piece of work Conan Doyle had published, and where was this?
- How many children did he father?
- Conan Doyle had a famous father in law. Who was he and why was he famous?
- What were Conan Doyle’s last words, and to whom were they uttered?
- Where has Conan Doyle been buried?
Round 2: Anagrams
- A defiant society
- Soften if rough
- Marble phone lift
- A hefty feral love
- Shan’t expose loin
- A dentine teeth strip
Round 3: Pictures
From which stories do the following illustrations come from?
Round 4: Holmes in the Media
- Thirteen Sherlock Holmes films (sadly twelve of which have been lost) were made in a European country between 1908 and 1911. Which country was this, and can you name the film company?
- Who wrote the West End stage play The Secret of Sherlock Holmes, who starred in it as Holmes and what was his secret?
- Name the Holmes stories and the characters the following actors played in the Granada (Jeremy Brett) series:
- Patricia Hodge
- Natasha Richardson
- Jenny Seagrove
- Joss Ackland
- Tim McInnery
- Which actor played Holmes in Sherlock Holmes: The Musical at the Bristol Old Vic in 1995?
- Columbia Pictures are making a film about Sherlock Holmes written by Etan Cohen. Who have been cast as Holmes and Watson?
- Holmes and Watson were once seen breaking into a journalist’s flat on television. In which programme was it, why did they do it, what did they discover and which story is the episode based on?
- ‘Steampunk Holmes’ is a mashup of Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes characters and stories from other 19th century works set in an alternative ‘Stempunk’ universe. The series starts in the year 1885, when Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are called in by Sherlock’s sister, Mycroft Holmes, to help find the stolen plans of a very advanced submarine, recovered from the watery grave of the most notorious terrorist of the British Empire. Who do you reckon this terrorist could be and what is the name of the submarine?
Round 5: Quotations
Can you fill in the missing words in the following Holmes quotations?
- It is a _______ mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
- Come at once if _______. If _________ come all the same.
- A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the _________ that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.
- The following two quotations contain the same word in all three gaps.
- You know my method. It is founded upon the observation of _______(s).
- It is, of course, a ______ but there is nothing so important as _______(s).
- How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the __________, whatever remains, however improbably, must be the truth?
- If I were assured of your eventual ________ I would, in the interests of the public, cheerfully accept my own.
- I am not the _______, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go.
- There is no part of the body which varies so much as the human _______.
- His ________ was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know nothing.