1) Dr Watson’s christian name is mentioned 4 times in the canon,
but what is different about the reference made in The Man With
The Twisted Lip?
2) In A Study In Scarlet Watson compiles a list as he learns more
about the enigma that is Sherlock Holmes, his flatmate. What
adjective does he use to describe Holmes’ knowledge of politics?
3) Name one of the 4 cases not narrated in the first person by
Watson. (Bonus point if you can name all 4).
4) What was Conan Doyle’s original name for Dr Watson?
5) Name the 2 cases where it is insinuated that Watson may have a
gambling problem? (1 point for each).
6) Watson was invalided out of the army. Where, anatomically not
geographically, was he wounded by the jezail bullet?
7) In The Three Garridebs Watson is wounded in the line of duty.
What is the REAL name of the man who shot him i.e. NOT the alias
by which he more infamously known?
8) What sporting connection with Watson does Robert Ferguson give
by way of introduction in The Sussex Vampire? (Bonus point if you
can also name Ferguson’s team and position).
9) Watson was quite the sportsman in his time. What other sport
can we deduce he plays from a reference in the Charles Augustus
10) Holmes is able to deduce much about Watson’s family history
from the examination of which personal item?
11) In which case does Watson meet his first wife and what is her
12) This young lady makes quite an impression on Watson upon
their first meeting. Name a physical characteristic from Watson’s
eloquent description. (Bonus point for identifying an item of her
clothing that is also detailed in the text).
13) In which of the novels does Holmes appear to hand over the
bulk of the investigation over to Watson?
14) In which case do we get a description of Watson as a wanted
criminal? (Bonus point for naming any of the features in the
description given by the police).
15) Watson is always willing to put himself forward in the line
of duty. In which case does Holmes come close to killing him in
the name of scientific research?
16) How many times in the canon does Watson ejaculate?
17) What is Watson’s alias in The Illustrious Client? (Bonus for
also naming the dummy address used).
18) What is the nickname of Watson’s childhood friend from school,
in The Naval Treaty? (Bonus point for being able to state the
precise nature of their ‘intimate acquaintance’).
19) Watson is often requested to bring his trusty service revolver
with him on a case. How many times is it used?
20) Where did Watson study medicine and what year did he